This salad makes a most attractive addition to our table. It is set to become a firm favourite, as it can be made a day ahead: the flavours are enhanced by this advance preparation.
Serves 6 – 8
- 4 raw beetroot, peeled and cut in halves, then into wedges, *parboiled
- 2 red peppers, seeded and cut into cubes
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into julienne strips
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut in halves, and then into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and cut into slivers
- 125 ml olive oil
- 60 ml balsamic vinegar
- 15 ml brown sugar
- 25 ml sweet chilli sauce
- 5 ml mustard powder
- 100 g feta or goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 100 g fresh figs, cut into quarters (optional)
- 25 ml fresh coriander leaves
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180ºC fan/Gas mark 6.
- Place beetroot, red peppers, carrots, onions, and garlic into an oven roasting pan. Pour olive oil over and toss vegetables until well coated.
- Bake: for 25 – 30 minutes until vegetables are just tender and golden brown.
- Combination/Solar Dom: 200°C +70% microwave energy for 15 – 20 minutes until vegetables are just tender and golden brown.
- Cool slightly. Mix together balsamic vinegar, sugar, sweet chilli sauce and mustard powder; pour over the warm vegetables. Mix gently together.
- Place vegetables onto a serving platter; top with feta cheese, fresh figs (if using) and coriander leaves.
- *Microwave beetroot wedges on 100% power for 8 – 10 minutes first. This cuts down dramatically on the roasting time. The same procedure may be used for the carrots.
- Use ready-cooked beetroot to save on the preparation time. Roast as above.
- Use ready-prepared carrot julienne strips.
- A creamy salad dressing also works well with this salad in place of the balsamic vinegar mixture.
- Do bear in mind that olive oil is high in calories, so use moderately.
- Store olive oil in a cool, dark place: sunlight and heat can destroy certain properties in the oil.