Vegetables and a carbohydrate all-in-one meal; or serve as an accompaniment to a braai, or with roast chicken, lamb, or beef.
– 250 ml dried couscous
– 750 ml vegetable stock or water
– 15 ml olive oil
– 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
– 4 cloves garlic, crushed
– 15 ml finely chopped fresh ginger root
– 4 carrots, cut into julienne strips
– Pinch red hot pepper flakes
– 2 ml ground coriander
– 2 courgettes, cut in diagonal slices
– 1 red pepper, cut into small cubes
– 60 g mange tout, cut in halves, lengthwise
1. Place couscous in a large bowl and add 250 ml boiling stock or water. Cover the bowl and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and ginger and sauté until onions are transparent.
3. Add carrots, red pepper flakes, ground coriander, and remaining stock. Bring to the boil, reduce heat,
cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Add courgettes, and cook a further 3 minutes. Add red pepper and mange tout; cook uncovered for a further 5 minutes.
4. Fluff couscous with a fork. Add vegetables and gently mix into the couscous. Add any extra cooking liquid if the mixture is very dry. Add seasoning to taste if necessary.
5. Mix, and serve.