A few store-cupboard ingredients will turn this chicken into a quick dish to satisfy the hungry hordes.
If you are looking for the perfect appliances to make this fantastic recipe, check out a range that we suggest:
SMEG MULTIFUNCTION BUILT-IN CLASSIC OVEN MODELhttps://bit.ly/2nfcw0B
45 ml sunflower oil
500 g skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
250 g button mushrooms, sliced
500 ml chicken stock
30 ml cornflour
125 ml cream
15 ml fresh or 5 ml dried thyme
5 ml paprika
5 ml mustard powder
5 ml lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
500 g penne, cooked
45 ml brown or whole wheat breadcrumbs
3 ml paprika
250 ml Cheddar or Emmental cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C/ 160ºC fan/ Gas Mark 4.
2. In a large frying pan, heat oil.
3. Add chicken, and sauté for about 3 – 4 minutes; turn over half way during the cooking time. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. Add onion and chilli to the pan and sauté until onions are translucent. Add mushrooms, and fry gently for a further 2 – 3 minutes.
5. Return chicken to the mushroom mixture, then add chicken stock. Simmer for a further 8 – 10 minutes.
6. Make a smooth paste with the cornflour and cream.
7. Reduce the heat, and add cornflour paste to chicken. Stir through until sauce is smooth and has thickened.
8. Add thyme, paprika, mustard powder and lemon juice, and mix through. Season to taste.
9. In a large bowl, mix together the pasta and chicken mixture. Pour into a greased ovenproof dish.
10. Sprinkle over breadcrumbs mixed with 3 ml paprika, and then top with grated cheese.
11. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is golden in colour.
• Reduced-fat cream may be used in place of full-fat cream.
• Use natural yoghurt instead of cream, if wishing to reduce fat in the diet.