When we entertain, we are always on the lookout for easy recipes that will appeal to most of our guests. This Butter Chicken recipe ticks all the boxes. It is simple to prepare ahead. This dish has had a great revival, thanks to our first South African Master Chef, Deena.
Serves 4 – 6
– 15 ml garam masala
– 5 ml paprika
– 3 ml salt
– 3 ml chilli powder
– 5 ml turmeric
– 10 ml ground coriander
– 10 ml ground cumin
– 2 cloves garlic, chopped
– 15 ml chopped, fresh ginger root
– 15 ml lemon juice
– 250 ml Greek yoghurt
– 8 chicken thighs, skin removed
-15 ml cornflour per 1 kg chicken
– 60 ml cooking oil
– 1 onion, chopped
– 1 cinnamon stick
– 3 cardamom pods, split open
– 5 ml mustard seeds
– 375 ml tomato purée
– 125 ml low-fat cream
– 15 ml fresh coriander, chopped
– Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
– 60 ml flaked almonds, toasted
1. Mix the spices, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, and yoghurt. Toss the chicken in the cornflour, and add to the yoghurt mixture. Set aside to marinate for an hour.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Sauté the onion with the cinnamon, cardamom, and mustard seeds, until transparent. Add the chicken and the sauce. Cook for 15 minutes.
3. Add tomato purée, and cook for a further 15 minutes until the chicken is tender, and the sauce has reduced.
4. Stir in the cream and coriander. Season to taste.
5. Sprinkle over toasted almonds, and serve with rice and sambals.
- Basmati rice and a selection of sambals and chutneys.
• Toast almonds in a small microwaveable glass bowl for 2 – 3 minutes on 100% power, stirring each minute.
• The addition of cornflour assists in tenderizing the chicken.