Maize Meal Braai Tart
Truly a South African recipe! We love maize meal (mielie pap), the addition of chutney elevates the taste to
a new level. This recipe may be made ahead and baked at the last minute while the meat is cooking on
Serves 10 –12
1 litre water
10 ml sea salt
30 g butter (30 ml)
360 g maize meal (750 ml)
15 ml sunflower oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green or red pepper, finely chopped
200 g mushrooms, chopped
1 x 410 g tin whole kernel corn, drained or 250 ml frozen corn, thawed
45 ml Mrs. Ball’s chutney
1 x 410 g tin tomato and onion mix
80 g grated Cheddar cheese (200 ml)
- 1. Preheat oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/Gas mark 4.
2. Place water, salt and butter in a large saucepan; bring to the boil.
3. Add maize meal; stir continuously.
4. Bring to the boil; simmer for 25 minutes, stirring regularly.
5. Heat sunflower oil in a frying pan over moderate heat. Sauté onion and pepper until onion is
translucent and pepper is soft.
6. Add mushrooms; sauté a minute or two longer.
7. Stir corn and onion mixture into the maize meal, together with chutney. Spoon into a greased oven dish.
8. Spread tomato and onion mix evenly on top; sprinkle with cheese.
9. Bake for 30 – 40 minutes until cooked through and golden brown on top.
10. Serve as a side dish at a braai, or with grilled or roast meats or vegetables.
Tip – Maize Meal Braai Tart:
• Cook in individual oven-proof dishes as a novel way of serving this recipe.
Bake for 20 – 25 minutes.