On a chilly evening, with a nip in the air; when you don’t have much time to make dessert, but you want
something sweet at the end of the day, this recipe is quick and easy. There will be minimal washing up to do!
- 45 g cake flour (90 ml)
- 5 ml baking powder
- 5 ml ground cinnamon
- 40 g brown sugar (60 ml)
- 30 g butter (30 ml), melted, and slightly cooled
- 90 ml milk
- 3 ml vanilla essence
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 6 pitted dates, chopped (optional)
- 15 ml butter
- 120 ml boiling water
- 60 ml brown sugar
- 30 ml golden syrup or honey
Ice cream, custard or whipped cream
1. Use two large, microwave-proof coffee or teacups (no gold or silver rim). Grease cups very well.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Add the sugar and mix well.
3. In a glass jug or bowl, melt the butter for 1 minute in the microwave oven, on 100% power. Then add milk,
vanilla essence, banana and dates.
4. Add this to the dry flour mixture. Stir gently to combine. Divide mixture between the two cups.
5. For the sauce: In a jug or bowl, place all the sauce ingredients; mix well.
6. Pour equally over the batter in the two cups. Cover with plastic wrap.
7. Cook on 100% power for 60 seconds, then microwave on 60% power for 30 seconds – 1 minute until the
batter is fluffy and cooked. There should still be a slightly wet patch in the centre of the cup. Carefully remove
8. Serve with ice-cream, custard, or lightly whipped cream.