Mini Pavlova Meringues
Meringues in many ways; Mini Pavlova Meringues nests are great to make ahead and they store for ages in a sealed
container. Fill with fresh fruit, cream or yoghurt, chocolate, salted caramel, chocolate or berry mousse,
ice-cream and so much more, let your imagination go wild.
Makes 30 – 36 meringue cases
- 8 egg whites (250 ml)
- 460 g castor sugar (560 ml)
- 10 ml vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 140°C/120ºC fan/ Gas mark 1.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry, on high speed in an electric food mixer.
- Fold in castor sugar a little at a time, beating well on high speed, continuously, until thick and soft peaks hold.
- Add in vanilla essence.
- Place mixture into a piping bag. Use two large baking sheets.
- Draw a template of the size mini Pavlova required, onto the baking paper which will line the baking sheets. Pipe circles on baking paper.
- Pipe a small amount in the middle, and smooth out to meet the outer circle of meringue.
- Pipe another ring around the top outer edge.
- Bake at 140°C/120ºC fan/ Gas mark 1 for 1 hour, and then turn down to 100°C/80ºC fan/ Gas mark ¼ for a further hour.
- Allow cooling in the oven.
- Store in a sealed container.
- Fill with 250 ml whipped cream and fresh grape halves, mango, kiwi, pineapple, nectarine, strawberry slices/raspberries or blueberries or a mixture of fresh fruit.
- Use to make individual baby meringues – will make approximately 60. Sandwich together with lemon curd or passion fruit cream, or dip one edge in melted chocolate.
- Make 3 large 22 cm circles, when cold, sandwich together with cream, chocolate and/or fruit in season.
- Try using Salted Caramel Sauce with the cream and meringue- delicious! Drizzle with melted chocolate before serving.
- Add 100 g finely chopped nuts (hazelnuts are good) to the mixture in step 4.
- Add 60 ml cocoa powder to mixture in step 4.
- Fill with flavoured yoghurt and fruit for a less fattening option.