Chargrilled Chicken Skewers With A Chunky Corn And Bean Salsa
Enjoy these Chargrilled Chicken Skewers With A Chunky Corn And Bean Salsa with family and friends. They can easily be grilled on the Braai. These were prepared recently at the Hirsch’s Kitchen Capers event where Christine Capendale showcased her talents alongside Margaret Hirsch.
- 800 g deboned chicken thighs
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes
- salt and black pepper (optional Barbeque seasoning)
40 g honey
30 ml soy sauce
30 ml lime juice or rice vinegar
15 ml sesame oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
40 ml sweet chili sauce
30 ml tomato paste
5 ml barbeque seasoning
- Combine all the marinade ingredients and mix well
- Cut the chicken thigh pieces into smaller bite sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Place in a bowl and pour over the marinade. Toss to coat evenly and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes or longer (can also place in a Ziploc bag to marinate)
- Skewer the chicken onto the soaked bamboo skewers. Shake off any excess marinade
- Cook on the barbeque until golden brown and sticky.
- You can also grill the skewers on a hot griddle pan on the stove for about 4 minutes on each side. Use medium heat.
Chunky Corn And Bean Salsa
- 3 corn on the cob, cooked and lightly charred
- 125 g fine green beans, blanched
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 60 ml chopped spring onion
- 80 g sugar snap peas/sliced
- 1 tin (400 g) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 30 ml chopped fresh mint
- 30 ml chopped coriander
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed (optional)
- 40 ml olive oil
- 40 ml sweet chili sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- juice and finely grated zest of 1 lime
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing and mix well
- Slice the corn off the cob into chunky pieces.
- Mix the corn with all the remaining ingredients, except the avocado, and toss well. Mix in the avocado gently. Season with salt and black pepper and gently toss through the dressing.