This fresh Clementine Honeyed Salmon recipe from “A Taste Of Hirsch’s cookbook” ticks all of the boxes. It is flavoursome, fresh and healthy. Clementines or naartjies, are super-sweet when in season. Mixed together with honey and fish, they are just superb. This is a great make-ahead recipe.
Ingredients for the Clementine Honeyed Salmon
- 125 ml naartjie juice
- 125 ml soy sauce
- 60 ml rice-wine vinegar
- 60 ml water
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 60 ml brown sugar
- 45 ml sesame seed oil
- 45 ml honey or raw honey or agave syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 15 ml sesame seeds
- 10 ml red chilli flakes
- Pink Himalayan salt or sea salt, to taste
For the Fish
- 500 g salmon fillets, cut into 4: skin on
- 30 ml olive oil
- 4 x clementines or naartjies, peeled and segmented
- Garnish: 30 ml micro-herbs
- Mix all ingredients together, except for the salmon fillets, olive oil, and clementines.
- Place salmon fillets, skin-side up, in a glass baking dish.
- Pour the marinade over the fish. Do not cover the skin with the marinade.
- Cover, and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Remove from marinade and pat dry. Then rub a little olive oil over fillets to ensure even browning and to
ensure fish will not stick to the grill pan.
- Place the marinade into a saucepan and simmer over a moderate heat to reduce liquid and form
- Preheat the grill pan on the hob; when very hot, place the fish fillets skin-side down. Cook for
4 – 5 minutes, then turn over and cook a further 3 – 4 minutes for medium-done fish, or a further
5 – 6 minutes for well-done fish. (Allow 10 minutes per 2.5 cm thick salmon).
- Place onto a serving plate, top with clementine segments, and pour over the naartjie and honey glaze;
scatter micro-herbs over. Serve with garlic steamed green beans and baby potatoes.
• Use hake fillets, skin on, instead of salmon.