Packed with roughage and flavour, this tastes sublime on its own or as an accompaniment to chicken or meat. This dish serves up to 6 people. Perfect to store in the fridge and use for work lunches, your next family get together or to impress that one vegetarian friend!
- 250 g cooked barley or bulgar wheat
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 sticks celery, chopped finely
- 125 ml dried apricots, chopped finely
- 1 x 400 g tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 x 400 g tin lentils, drained
- 100 ml chutney
- 50 ml olive oil
- 50 ml balsamic vinegar
- 5 ml mustard powder
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients for salad together in a deep bowl.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together, pour over the salad ingredients, and toss to mix well.
- Arrange in an attractive serving bowl, or on a flat platter.
- Great with a braai, or as a meal on its own, with a green salad and crusty bread.