Lemon curd, candied lemon peel, fresh strawberries and raspberries, sounds heavenly? The zingy lemon taste keeps coming; both in the cake and the topping. This Lemony Limoncello Cake makes a great addition to the tea table, or it can be served as a dessert: the hole in the middle can be filled with berries. Make your own lemon curd; it tastes so much better, and for this cake, is far nicer than store-bought but let’s be honest, homemade is always better than store-bought! This recipe can serve up to 8 people.
- 2 large eggs
- 210 g castor sugar (250 ml)
- 250 ml plain, unsweetened yoghurt
- 80 ml sunflower oil
- Zest and juice of two lemons to make 50 ml juice
- 125 ml Limoncello, or similar lemon liqueur
- 280 g cake flour (500 ml)
- 7 ml baking power
- 3 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 150 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 50 ml Limoncello liqueur, or similar lemon liqueur
- 150 g castor sugar
Candied Lemon Peel:
- 375 ml water
- Finely sliced peel of two lemons
- 375 ml sugar
- 50 g lemon curd
- Candied lemon peel, or fresh strawberries, or raspberries
- For sponge cake: Preheat oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/Gas mark 4.
- Grease in a small metal 24 cm bundt or ring pan; line the base with baking paper, and grease again.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, whisk the eggs and castor sugar together until thick and creamy.
- Whisk the yogurt, oil, zest, 50 ml lemon juice and Limoncello together.
- Sift flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together.
- Alternate the yogurt mixture with the flour mixing on a slow speed to amalgamate. Be careful not to over-mix, as the gluten in the flour will be stretched, and the cake will not rise properly. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, until golden, and a skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean.
- Syrup: Combine syrup ingredients; pour overthe warm cake.
- Candied peel: Bring water to the boil in a small saucepan.
- Add lemon peel, and continue to boil for 5 minutes, until tender.
- Stir in sugar; mix gently to combine, and boil until the peel becomes transparent. Drain well.
- To serve: Remove cake from cake pan and, when cool, spread with lemon curd, and top with candied peel, or sliced strawberries, or raspberries.