This is a great make-ahead salad which does not go limp and mushy when standing. In fact, the flavours
combine really well. It looks gorgeous with the glittering pomegranate seeds, the red of the tomatoes, and the green of the fresh herbs.
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 – 2 brinjals, peeled and cubed
- 1 – 2 ripe red tomatoes, seeded and diced, or 150 g Rosa baby tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 50 g walnuts, toasted
- 100 g dates, halved and pips removed
- 80 ml fresh pomegranate seeds
- 100 g goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 30 ml toasted sesame seeds
- 45 ml fresh coriander, chopped
- 45 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 60 ml olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 10 ml fresh mint, finely chopped
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 30 ml pomegranate molasses
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Sauté brinjals over a medium heat until light golden brown. Drain on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Combine cooked brinjals with the remaining ingredients; toss to mix well.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together.
- Arrange on a flat serving plate. Drizzle the dressing over just before serving.
• Toss brinjal cubes in olive oil and spread out on a baking tray. Roast at 200ºC/180ºC fan/Gas mark 5 for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown