Simple ingredients: when combined, these fritters are bursting with flavour and they can be served au naturel
or with the sour cream topping. For the non-veggie people, a few shards of smoked salmon is divine. Make
sure you do not use too fine a grater as this will make the potatoes too mushy. Neither use a very coarse
grater as it will be too chunky. Use the medium-sized grater for the best results.
Serves 4 – 6
600 g grated peeled potatoes
185 g grated peeled sweet potatoes
45 ml finely snipped chives
15 ml finely chopped oregano
30 ml finely chopped flat-leafed parsley
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
30 g cake flour (60 ml)
Salt and pepper to taste
45 ml olive oil
250 g sour cream
Dill sprigs to garnish
1. Combine in a bowl the potato and sweet potato with the chives, oregano, parsley, eggs and sifted flour.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Stir with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are just combined.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan; spoon heaped tablespoons of the mixture into the pan.
Flatten a little with a spatula whilst cooking.
4. Cook over a medium – high heat for 4 minutes each side, or until golden.
5. Serve warm, topped with sour cream and dill sprigs.
• Before using, keep grated sweet potato in acidulated water with 15 ml vinegar added, to prevent
discolouration. Drain well and dry on a clean tea towel before using.
• Can be made ahead and reheated in a low oven for 20 minutes or on 100% power in the microwave for
3 – 4 minutes.