A great summer salad, which may be started the day before you require it. Crunchy textures add depth to this recipe.
Serves 4 – 6
– 1 x 410 g tin “reduced fat” coconut milk
– Juice and rind of 4 limes
– 30 ml brown sugar
– 1 red chilli, finely chopped
– 500 g chicken breasts, skin and bone removed, sliced into strips
– 30 ml sunflower oil
– 250 ml shredded red cabbage
– 250 ml shredded green cabbage
– 200 g mange tout
– 1 small fresh pineapple, peeled and cut into strips or chunks
– 50 ml fresh coriander, chopped
– 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Garnish: Reserve a few strips pineapple, fresh coriander leaves, and a few thin slices of red onion
1. Mix together coconut milk, lime juice and rind, brown sugar, and chilli. Place half the dressing aside;
use the other half to coat the chicken breasts.
2. Marinate the chicken breast strips for 2 hours, or overnight in the refrigerator.
3. Stir-fry chicken strips in oil; then add marinade, stir-fry for about 8 – 10 minutes until cooked through; allow to cool.
4. Mix red and green cabbage, mange tout, pineapple pieces, with coriander and red onion. Toss in the cooled chicken strips and the remainder of the dressing.
5. Serve immediately, garnished with strips of pineapple, coriander, and red onion.
• Place any meat or chicken for marinating in a zip-lock bag. This is great for saving fridge space, and for allowing the marinade to penetrate well; also, there is less washing up!
• To get more juice out of limes; grate rind, then cut in half and microwave on 100% power for 1 minute.
• Chicken may be baked in the oven at 180ºC/160ºC fan/Gas mark 4 for approximately 25 – 30 minutes.