This recipe epitomizes Simone and me, in that it is unique, quirky, and filled with variety! These cupcakes will be
the talking point at your next party!
Makes 12 muffin-sized cupcakes, or 16 fairy cupcakes
– 175 g butter (175 ml), softened
-175 g castor sugar (200 ml)
-2 large eggs
-200 g self-raising flour (350 ml)
-3 ml salt
-2 ml baking powder
-45 ml tonic water
-15 ml gin
-Rind of 1 lime
- 100 g castor sugar (125 ml)
- 125 ml tonic water
- Rind of 1 lime
- 50 ml gin
- 1 – 2 limes, cut into mini wedges
- 12 white or toasted coconut marshmallows, cut into small cubes
- 12 small skewers
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/Gas mark 4.
- Line a muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.
- Cream the butter and 175 g castor sugar together, in an electric food mixer, until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time.
- Sift self-raising flour, salt and baking powder together.
- Add the sifted flour, 45 ml tonic water and 15 ml gin into the batter; mix until combined; be careful not to over-mix.
- Stir in the rind of the lime.
- Fill each cupcake liner approximately 2/3rd full.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over a moderate heat, heat the 100 g castor sugar, tonic water and lime rind, until sugar has dissolved; remove from the heat, and add the 50 ml gin.
- When the cupcakes come out of the oven, pierce each cupcake a few times with a wooden skewer; pour approximately 25 ml of the sugared-gin solution over each hot cupcake.
- Allow to cool slightly; remove from baking pan; place on a cooling rack.
- When cool, top with mascarpone frosting, lime wedges, and chopped, white or coconut marshmallows, threaded onto skewers.