The colours in this recipe are bright and vibrant, as are the flavours;
this quick-cooking dish will prove to be a staple in your repertoire.
– 15 ml olive oil
– 3 cloves garlic, crushed
– 1 medium onion, chopped
– 1 red or green pepper, chopped
– 300 g mushrooms, sliced
– 150 g chorizo, thinly sliced
– 1 x 410 g tin chopped tomatoes
– 15 ml fresh basil, chopped
– 5 ml chilli powder
– Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
– 5 ml paprika
– 250 ml thick cream
– 400 g cooked pasta shapes of your choice
– 50 g Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic, and red or green peppers, until onions are translucent.
2. Add in the mushrooms, and cook until softened.
3. Add in chorizo, and cook for a few minutes, then stir in tomatoes and basil.
4. Simmer for about 5 minutes, then add in the chilli powder, seasonings, paprika and cream. Simmer for a further
5 – 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling, salted water according to directions on the packet; it should be al denté when cooking time is complete.
6. Drain pasta and add to the sauce. Mix gently.
7. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese if so desired.
8. Serve with crusty bread to mop up the pan juices.
• Try using reduced-fat cream, to lower the fat content of this dish.