Proffer those greens with panache – the family will absolutely love this way of serving up green beans. This dish is bound to become a family favourite.
Serves 4 – 6
– 500 g fresh thin green beans, ends trimmed
– 30 ml extra-virgin olive oil
– 3 spring onions, finely chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, finely crushed
– 2 ml each sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
– 125 g mozzarella cheese, torn into fairly large pieces
– 25 ml fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
– 15 ml fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
– 20 ml balsamic glaze
1. Cook the green beans in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, until they are still firm, yet tender and bright green, about 4 – 5 minutes.
2. Drain green beans in a colander and transfer to a large bowl of iced water. Allow to cool down completely.
3. Drain well, and place the green beans onto a paper towel-lined baking sheet; pat dry to remove any excess moisture.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the oil, spring onions, garlic, salt, and pepper.
5. Place the beans into a bowl; pour the dressing over.
6. Scatter mozzarella cheese over green beans. Add the mint and basil and toss again.
7. Pile the mixture onto a serving platter and drizzle with the balsamic glaze and serve.
• Add 100 g baby tomatoes halved, in step 5.
• Replace mozzarella cheese with feta cheese.
• Add 50 g toasted, slivered almonds or pine nuts.