We start our day – normally rising at 4 a.m. to meditate, do gratitudes, and go off to gym. A healthy
breakfast is essential. Cereal, fruit, and yoghurt are what I normally have, but here is one of our favourites.
Always make a plan to have some of it left over in the kitchen, as it is great to grab a handful for a quick,
Makes approximately 1.5 kg
– 400 g large flakes of rolled oats (5 x 250 ml)
– 300 g pecan nuts, coarsely chopped (750 ml)
– 150 g sunflower seeds (250 ml)
– 200 g dark brown sugar (250 ml) or coconut palm sugar
– 10 ml ground cinnamon
– 5 ml ground ginger
– 5 ml ground nutmeg
– 200 ml unsweetened applesauce*
– 75 ml maple syrup
– 60 ml raw honey or agave syrup
– 45 ml olive or coconut oil
– 150 g dried cranberries
– 200 g desiccated coconut (625 ml), toasted
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/Gas mark 4.
2. Use a very large mixing bowl; mix together oats, pecan nuts, sunflower seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
3. Place the applesauce, maple syrup, honey or agave syrup, and oil, into a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until combined; stir constantly to prevent burning.
4. Mix the applesauce and syrup mixture with the dry ingredients until it is evenly distributed.
5. Divide granola mixture between two large Swiss roll pans. Bake for 45 – 55 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until the granola is a deep, golden brown.
6. Remove from oven. Allow to cool completely.
7. Mix in dried cranberries and coconut.
8. Store in a large, airtight container.
9. Store for up to three months in a cool, dark place.
• *Use a 410 g tin unsweetened pie apples; blend with a stick blender to a smooth purée.