At certain times you need to entertain. This appetizer or starter certainly has a festive and colourful air about it. It is very simple to prepare, and tastes as good as it looks. We hope you enjoy this as much as we do.
Serves 4 – 6
125 ml pistachio nuts, shelled
10 ml ground coriander
10 ml ground cumin
3 ml dried thyme
125 ml dried cranberries, roughly chopped
250 g goat’s cheese, in a log shape
To serve: Bruschetta, savoury biscuits, pita wedges or fresh French bread, sliced
1. In a small pan over medium-high heat, dry roast the pistachios; add in coriander and cumin after 3 minutes. Roast until fragrant; about 4 – 5 minutes in total, stirring fairly frequently. Allow to cool.
2. Combine the pistachios, coriander, cumin and thyme with the cranberries.
3. Place on a flat plate, and roll the goat’s cheese log in the mixture until completely coated with the mixture.
4. Place on a serving dish; sprinkle the remaining pistachio and cranberry mixture around the log.
5. Store at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before serving.
6. The cheese will then soften nicely and become easier to spread.
7. Serve with a variety of bruschetta, savoury biscuits, pita wedges and/or fresh sliced bread.
• Add 125 ml finely chopped glacé figs in step 2. Omit spices and thyme.