This warm, caramelized meringue with chilled ice cream and soft sponge makes for a mouthwatering dessert.
If you are looking for the perfect appliances to make this fantastic recipe, check out a range that we suggest:
Defy Eye Level Oven – https://bit.ly/2HM3rpJ
Defy Stainless Steel Full Freezer – https://bit.ly/2HM3JwP
– 4 balls of ice cream – either home-made or bought
– 4 thick slices (1.5 cm) of chocolate sponge – either home-made or bought
– 4 large egg whites
– Pinch salt
– 160 g castor sugar (210 ml)
1. Ball the ice cream and place on a tray in the freezer the night before.
2. Heat oven to 220ºC/200ºC fan/Gas Mark 7.
3. Cut the sponge with a round cutter or the rim of a glass.
4. Place the egg whites into a bowl with the salt and whisk until stiff but not dry. Add the castor sugar little by little until all has been incorporated and a thick, glossy meringue has formed.
5. Place ice cream ball onto the sponge and cover all over with the meringue.
6. Place in a hot oven for 8 – 10 minutes until the meringue is golden brown.
7. Alternatively, use a blow torch. Evenly blow the heat all over the meringue, making sure that there is even
browning all around, then serve immediately.