Trendy and different, these cupcakes are quite a talking point!
If you are looking for the perfect appliances to make this fantastic recipe, check out a range that we suggest:
ELBA 60CM ELIO ELECTRIC OVEN – 02/ELIO600 – http://bit.ly/2LuCxEf
-Makes 2 ½ dozen
-250 g unsalted butter or margarine (250 ml), softened
-400 g light brown sugar (500 ml)
-15 ml vanilla essence
– 15 ml red food colouring
– 5 ml white vinegar (or other mild vinegar, such as white balsamic)
– 280 g cake flour (500 ml)
– 20 g cocoa powder, sifted (60 ml)
– 10 ml bicarbonate of soda
– 3 ml salt
– 250 ml buttermilk or natural yoghurt
– 6 large eggs
The best cream cheese icing ever! This icing does not go runny after you start adding the icing sugar.
– 50 g cream cheese, softened
– 25 g butter or margarine, softened (25 ml)
– 200 g icing sugar (400 ml)
– A little milk to combine (about 50 ml)
1. Place cream cheese, butter or margarine and icing sugar into a food mixer. Use the balloon whisk.
2. Add a little milk, and beat well until mixture all comes together and is quite stiff; then add a little more milk until it reaches a consistency such that it will not run down the cake, but will be able to set
on the top ridge of the cake.
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/Gas Mark 4. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper or foil liners.
2. In large mixing bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter or margarine and sugar until fluffy.
3. Mix in vanilla, food colouring, and vinegar.
4. In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt. Use a fine mesh sieve to ensure no little spots of cocoa powder in the finished product.
5. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk and beating in between.
6. Beat in eggs.
7. Fill lined muffin cups about 3/4 full. Getting the cupcake batter into the muffin cups is always a challenge. Use a measuring cup to pour the batter into the cups, or use a metal ice cream scoop with a
8. Bake for 15 – 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Place on wire racks and cool completely.
9. Ice each cupcake with a generous amount of cream cheese icing and dust with your favourite sprinkles.
• Bake mixture in 1 x Bundt pan which has been well greased and lined with baking paper on the base.
Grease the paper again. Bake at the same temperature for 60 – 65 minutes. Allow to cool slightly in the pan; turn out and allow to cool completely before icing.
Cake serves 12 – 14