A light, flavourful dish which makes a grand entrance!
If you are looking for the perfect appliances to make this fantastic recipe, check out a range that we suggest:
Bosch 60cm Gas Oven Stainless Steel – HGL10E150 – https://bit.ly/2ohFWfg
1 bag spinach leaves
60 g butter or margarine (60 ml)
30 g cake flour (50 ml)
300 ml milk
30 ml finely-chopped parsley
30 ml finely-chopped chives
5 extra-large egg yolks
3 ml ground nutmeg
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
6 extra-large egg whites
60 g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
30 g Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Butter a large 1.5 litre soufflé dish well, or 4 smaller ramekin dishes. Place baking paper around each ramekin and tie in place.
2. Preheat oven 180ºC/160ºC fan/Gas mark 4.
3. Cook spinach in a small amount of boiling water; remove with a slotted spoon and place on a dinner plate. Put another dinner plate of the same size on top; squeeze two plates together to remove excess moisture from spinach. This works a treat to drain spinach after cooking!
4. Melt butter or margarine in a saucepan, stir in flour and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Add in milk; stir constantly until mixture thickens. Place some plastic wrap on the surface of the sauce (this prevents a skin from forming) and allow to cool. Remove plastic wrap when ready to use. Or make this sauce in the microwave oven in a glass bowl or jug.
5. When cool enough, beat egg yolks together, add in a small amount of white sauce, beat well and return all the mixture to the white sauce. Beat well to blend.
6. Stir in nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Add in parsley and chives.
7. Chop well-drained spinach and add to the sauce.
8. Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into spinach mixture together with grated Cheddar cheese.
9. Spoon carefully into prepared soufflé dish(es). Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over.
10. Place soufflé dishes into a roasting tin with boiling water halfway up the sides of the soufflé dish.
11. Bake large soufflé for about 40 – 45 minutes, smaller ramekins for about 25 – 30 minutes, until well risen
and golden brown.