Sometimes you search for something light to go with a meal or a braai or to eat on its own, soaking up the juices with crusty bread; well look no further! Here is a great, colourful veggie dish with instant appeal.
Serves 6 – 8
If you are looking for the perfect appliances to make this fantastic recipe, check out a range that we suggest:
Defy 60cm Silver Slimline Oven – https://bit.ly/2PaFL4r
-25 ml olive oil
-25 ml sunflower oil
-4 medium onions, peeled and chopped finely
-2 cloves garlic, crushed
-4 sprigs fresh thyme or rosemary
-2 mild-strength chillies, seeds removed and chopped finely
-500 g ripe jam tomatoes, sliced
-4 medium courgettes, sliced
-20 ml olive oil
-Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
-15 ml brown sugar
-20 g white breadcrumbs
-30 g Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160ºC fan/ Gas mark 4.
2. Heat olive oil, sunflower oil and onions over a low heat in a heavy-based saucepan. Sauté gently for approximately
20 minutes, stirring from time to time. Add in garlic, thyme or rosemary and chillies; cook a further 2 – 3 minutes.
3. Place this mixture into a greased rectangular baking dish; spread evenly over the bottom of the dish.
4. Layer 3 – 4 rows of tomatoes, alternating with courgettes, at a slight angle, on top of onion mixture. Continue until you have used all the vegetables.
5. Drizzle over 20 ml olive oil, seasoning and sugar.
6. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until soft, then scatter breadcrumbs and cheese on top, and bake a further 10 minutes.
• Omit chilli and add one small red pepper, chopped finely.