Great dish for entertaining or for when you need to fill up on those carbs.
If you are looking for the perfect appliances to make this fantastic recipe, check out a range that we suggest:
Defy Built-in Oven & Hob Combo – DCB018 – https://bit.ly/2RUwIGN
– 1 kg potatoes, peeled and sliced 3 large red peppers, deseeded and skins removed
– 200 g sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 4 extra-large eggs, beaten
– 2 onions, peeled and chopped Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
– 30 ml sunflower oil 15 ml finely chopped parsley
– 2 large brinjals, sliced 10 ml fresh thyme or 3 ml dried thyme
– 2 courgettes, sliced lengthwise 250 ml Roasted Tomato Sauce (pg 79)
– 45 ml olive oil 200 g feta cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat grill.
2. Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender; drain and set aside.
3. Sauté onions in 30 ml sunflower oil until transparent. Set aside.
4. Brush brinjals and courgettes with olive oil and place under a hot grill to brown. Turn over and grill the other side.
5. Microwave red pepper halves for 5 minutes on 100% power. Place under grill to char skin. When blackened, remove to a bowl with a lid and allow to stand for 10 minutes. This will allow you to remove skin easily.
6. Beat eggs, seasoning, parsley, and thyme together.
7. Use a 24 – 26 cm springform tin. Grease well.
8. Layer 1/3rd potatoes on the base of the tin. Spread over ½ quantity fresh tomato sauce.
9. Arrange ½ onions, brinjals, courgettes and red peppers over tomato and add half egg mixture. Sprinkle with a little feta cheese.
10. Repeat layers ending with a layer of potatoes and feta cheese.
11. Drizzle over a small amount of olive oil
12. Bake in a preheated oven at 180ºC/160ºC fan/Gas mark 4 for 60 minutes. Watch that the mixture does not burn; cover with aluminum foil if necessary.
13. Allow to stand and rest for 10 minutes before taking out of pan.
14. Serve with a green salad and enjoy the compliments.
• Microwaving the red peppers first means a much shorter time to char them under the grill.