Coffee and cocoa have long been very good friends in the flavour department. This moist cake is helped along the way with a sugar solution which has extra coffee flavour. It is a great cake to demonstrate. Not only is it quick to put together, it shows off a variety of techniques. It is well worth the effort to make this cake.
If you are looking for the perfect appliances to make this fantastic recipe, check out a range that we suggest:
Whirpool JetChef Convection Microwave Oven – https://bit.ly/2kRsQmZ
-140 g wheat cake flour (250ml)
-20 g cocoa powder (60ml)
-15 ml baking powder
-Pinch of salt
-220 g castor sugar (250ml)
-125 g butter, melted (125ml)
-125 ml strongly brewed coffee, cooled
-2 large eggs
110 g castor sugar (125ml)
90 ml water
45 ml coffee liqueur (or strong coffee)
100 g dark or milk chocolate, broken into pieces
50 g Brazil nuts, coarsely chopped, and toasted (optional)
1. Grease and line a 22 – 24 cm microwave-safe cake ring/pan (line with paper towel cut to size).
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into large bowl of an electric food mixer.
3. Whisk sugar, butter, coffee and eggs together, then stir the liquid ingredients into the dry
ingredients and whisk gently until smooth.
4. Pour into the prepared cake pan.
5. Place the cake pan in the microwave oven on top of an inverted microwave- safe pie dish or saucer, and cook on 100% power for 6 – 8 minutes.
6. There should be a slightly wet spot centre top of the cake.
7. Remove from the microwave oven and leave to stand.
8.Heat castor sugar and water in a microwave-safe bowl on 100% power for five minutes. Stir in the liqueur or the coffee. Drizzle half the syrup over the cake in the pan while it is still slightly warm, then set aside to cool completely.
9. Melt the chocolate in the microwave oven for 3 minutes on 100% power, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.
10. Invert the cake on a serving plate. Remove paper towel. Drizzle with the rest of the syrup and
the melted chocolate.
11. Top with chopped nuts and serve.
12. For a more decadent cake, make chocolate ganache topping, and pour over cake.