Beetroot is something most of us only see in a jar. It has always been easier to buy a bottle of grated beetroot salad than to cook it yourself. This recipe is, however, very easy, and helps you not to get your hands too dirty. It lasts for about 1 week if you keep it in an airtight container in the fridge, which is an added bonus.
If you are looking for the perfect appliances to make this fantastic recipe, check out a range that we suggest:
Weber 57cm Mastertouch GBS Blue Braai Stand – https://bit.ly/2Vbrkwz
Weber Spirit E210 Original – https://bit.ly/2uFqKLW
Serves: 8 – 10
Grilling time: 1 1/2 to 2 hours
– 1 – 2 bags mixed salad greens
– 200 g baby tomatoes
– 1 red onion, sliced
– 1 large avocado pear, sliced
– 1 – 2 packets haloumi cheese
– Olive oil for grilling and salad dressing
– 15 ml balsamic vinegarRoasted
– 1-2 kg raw beetroot, well scrubbed
– 15 ml balsamic vinegar
– coarse sea salt and pepper, to taste
– 40 ml water
1. Prepare an indirect fire with 25 briquettes on each side or light the Q on indirect heat.
2. Trim the stalks and ends off the beetroot and wash thoroughly with a soft sponge.
3. Place the beetroot in a foil drip tray and add the vinegar into the tray. Season with salt and
pepper to taste.
4. Add in 40 ml water.
5. Cover tightly with foil and place on top of the grid.
6. Close the lid and leave to cook for about 1 ½ – 2 hours depending on the size of the beetroots.
7. Test whether they are cooked by piercing one with a knife. If the knife slides in easily then the
beetroot is cooked.
8. Let beetroot cool and store in a container in the fridge. Cut and peel as you use them.
9. Keep the remaining cooking liquid and mix with 50 ml olive oil, 5 ml granulated sugar, and 15ml balsamic vinegar, to make a delicious dressing for the salad.
1. Prepare the salad base using mixed green leaves. Try wild rocket or even baby spinach and
2. Add cocktail tomatoes and other ingredients such as avocado pear, onion, cucumber, peppers, gherkin, etc.
3. Cut the haloumi cheese into thick slices and rub with some olive oil. Grill on the grid or in a pan.
4. Add the beetroot wedges, grilled haloumi, and some pecan nuts to the salad, & serve.
5. This salad is great as a side dish with chicken or fish, but may also be enjoyed on its own as a meal.
• It is preferable to buy smaller beetroot.
• Best to buy fresh in the bunch rather than in bags.