Amazing garlic bread, super spicy, packed full of oozing cheese; it will appeal to everyone’s senses!
Serves 8 – 10
– 1 x large French bread, or 4 poppy, or sesame seed mini-baguettes
– 100 g extra-mature Cheddar cheese, grated (250 ml)
– 55 g fresh Parmesan cheese, grated (125 ml)
– 120 g mozzarella cheese, grated (250 ml)
– 1 small onion, grated
– 4 large cloves garlic, crushed
– 250 ml mayonnaise
– 10 ml curry powder
– 60 ml chopped green olives or capers (optional)
– 1 x 410 g tin asparagus salad cuts, drained (optional)
– 5 ml smoked ground paprika
– 15 ml fresh basil, chopped
– Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/Gas mark 4.
2. Cut loaf lengthwise horizontally into halves; place on baking sheets.
3. Mix cheeses, onion, garlic, mayonnaise, curry powder, and olives or capers and / or asparagus.
Spread this mixture evenly over bread halves.
4. Sprinkle lightly with paprika, basil and black pepper.
5. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden, hot and bubbling.
6. Cut into smaller pieces for ease of eating.
7. On the Braai: cut loaves, fill, place other half on top, wrap in foil and place on moderate grill for
15 – 20 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
• Another option is to use goat’s cheese instead of other cheeses; cream the cheese and mix with mayonnaise, etc. For more simple fare, use butter with creamed goat’s cheese; omit other ingredients; spread over bread as above.