Excellent for those watching their weight- a great family meal that’s quick and easy.
Serves 4 – 6
-500 g potatoes, peeled and cubed
-500 g sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
-2 chicken stock cubes
-Salt and white pepper to taste
-30 ml chopped parsley
-30 ml cooking oil
1. Cook potatoes in boiling water in which the stock cubes have been dissolved. Cook over moderate heat until tender.
2. Drain, but reserve stock. Mash with a little of the cooking liquid, season with salt and pepper to taste, and stir in parsley. Set aside.
3. In a large frying pan, heat the oil and sauté the chicken strips until just browned, about 4 – 6 minutes; then stir in leeks and a little reserved stock.
4. Cook together for about 10 minutes.
5. Stir in corn, and cook for a further 3 minutes.
6. Add spring onions and cottage cheese. Stir to mix well.
7. Place chicken mixture in a greased baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes; form into soft peaks.
8. Place dish under a hot grill to brown potatoes.
9. Serve with rocket and watercress salad, or steamed broccoli.
• Instead of corn, use frozen mixed vegetables or beans.
• Instead of mashed potatoes, top with frozen puff pastry rolled out to fit the baking dish; place on top of filling. Cut a few slits in the centre for steam to escape. Brush with beaten egg. Bake at 200ºC/180ºC fan/ Gas mark 6 for 25 – 30 minutes until golden brown.
• Buy ready-prepared sweet potatoes to save time.