As a main course or side dish of salad, this is exceptional every time! Serves 6 – 8
- 60 ml olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2.5 ml ground cumin
- 5 ml turmeric
- 300 ml brown rice, uncooked
- 500 ml boiling water
- 1 x 410 g tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 large carrot, cut into julienne strips
- ½ red pepper, thinly sliced
- 15 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 30 ml fresh lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 100 g slivered almonds, toasted
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan or saucepan on the hob over moderate temperature. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent. Add cumin and turmeric and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add brown rice to the mixture and stir through. Add in boiling water and cover. Simmer for approximately 25 minutes or until rice is cooked and most of the water has been absorbed. Be careful not to dry out completely.
- Add chickpeas, vegetables, chopped parsley and lemon juice to the rice mixture and season to taste. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Serve at room temperature.
- Garnish with toasted almonds and fresh coriander.