The tartness of lemons, combined with the sweetness of sugar, makes this an ever-popular filling for meringues, tarts, pies, cakes, and cookies. Cooked in the microwave oven, it is as easy as 1-2-3. Makes a great gift too!! Makes approximately 400 ml
- Juice and rind of 2 large, yellow lemons, to make 125 ml 250 g
- castor sugar (310 ml)
- 125 g butter or Stork Bake margarine
- (125 ml) 3 large eggs
- Blend lemon juice, rind and castor sugar together in a large bowl.
- Cook on 100% power in the microwave oven for 1 – 2 minutes, until sugar dissolves.
- Add in the butter; stir until melted.
- Beat the eggs together well. Add some of the hot, lemon mixtures to the eggs, beating continuously, then return this egg mixture to the remaining lemon mixture; whisk well.
- Cook on 70% power for 2 – 3 minutes; whisk every 30 seconds, until thickened.
- Pour into sterilized, hot, dry jars, and seal. Label, and store in a cool, dry place.
•Orange Curd – replace lemon rind and juice with orange rind and juice.
•Granadilla Curd – Use 125 ml granadilla pulp instead of lemon rind and juice.
• Use in filling sandwich cakes or biscuits.
• Use whipped cream flavoured with 100ml lemon, orange or granadilla curd, as dessert toppings, or with meringues.
• Spread on bread, in tartlets, on scones, or crumpets.
• Excellent to sell at fêtes and for gifts.