Pasta is such a simple thing to cook and to turn into an easy meal. This recipe is no exception, however, the addition of smoked salmon and sun-dried tomatoes makes this recipe a quick, gourmet meal. Great for easy entertaining, served with a crunchy salad, fresh bread, and a glass of wine. Serves 6
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 30 ml olive oil
- 30 g butter (30 ml)
- 45 ml cake flour
- 350 ml low-fat milk
- 5 ml garlic and herb seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/Gas mark 4.
- In a large saucepan, over moderate heat, sauté the onion and oil together for about 3 minutes, until translucent.
- Add butter and, when melted, stir in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes. Add milk, and make a white sauce. The sauce should not be too thick. Add herbs, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add spinach; cook for few minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes, lastly the salmon. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of salted, boiling water, until the al dente stage is reached.
- Combine the pasta and salmon mixture, then stir in the cream or yoghurt; combine gently.
- If too thick, add a little more cream/yoghurt or milk, or a little of the pasta cooking liquid.
- Pour into a greased baking dish 12 x 20 cm; sprinkle with grated mozzarella. Bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown.
- Serve with a cucumber salad.
Variation: • Use 1 or 2x 200g tins red salmon, in place of smoked salmon.
Tip: • Use sun-dried tomato oil to sauté onion, in place of 30ml olive oil.
Shop your kitchen essentials on www.hirschs.co.za