Wonderful colours and great flavours will make this a family favourite.
Serves 4 – 6
- 15 ml sunflower oil
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large brinjal (aubergine), rinsed and cubed
- 250 g courgettes, sliced
- 4 large tomatoes, skinned and chopped, or 1 x 410 g tin tomatoes
- 2 x 410 g tins haricot or red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 ml fresh or 5 ml dried origanum
- 10 ml fresh or 5 ml dried basil
- 5 ml sugar
- 250 ml vegetable stock, or 5 ml marmite in 250 ml boiling water
- 50 g pitted black olives, sliced (optional)
- 200 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 30 ml finely-chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 160ºC/140ºC fan/ Gas mark 3.
- Heat oils in a large saucepan and saute onion, leeks, garlic and green pepper until onion is translucent.
- Add brinjal, baby marrows and tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, seasoning and herbs. Add in sugar and stock. Mix well.
- Place mixture into a large greased baking dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 50 – 60 minutes.
- Check vegetables: a knife should go in fairly easily.
- Remove aluminum foil and check liquid and seasoning.
- Add a little more liquid if necessary.
- Add olives, and sprinkle with feta cheese; bake a further 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.
- Serve with brown rice, couscous, quinoa or roti.