An awesome ‘pick me up’ or a fun interactive kids day in the kitchen. This cupcake recipe calls on giggles and smiles.
- 250 g unsalted butter (250 ml), softened
- 410 g castor sugar (500 ml)
- 220 g self-raising flour (400 ml)
- 175 g cake flour (300 ml)
- 4 large eggs
- 250 ml milk
- 5 ml vanilla essence or seeds of 1 vanilla pod
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/ Gas mark 4.
- Line 2 x muffin pans with cupcake baking liners.
- In the bowl of a large electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
- Add the sugar gradually, and beat until white and fluffy, all the sugar being dissolved.
- Meanwhile, sift together the flours.
- Add the eggs one at a time, with 15 ml flour at each addition.
Stop and scrape the bowl down well.
- Add the flour in three parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla essence. Do not over-beat, but make sure that the mixture is well blended; scrape the bowl down intermittently.
- Using an ice-cream scoop with a built-in release, fill paper cupcake liners 2/3rd full.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean, or the surface of the cupcake springs back when touched with a finger.
- Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack before filling and icing accordingly, using vanilla buttercream or a flavour of your choice. Use a chocolate ganache icing for a very smooth, velvety texture.
- Use half white sugar and half brown sugar; 200 g dark chocolate, melted; and replace milk with buttermilk. Add melted chocolate into the mixture after adding the eggs. Top with chocolate ganache icing, or a chocolate butter icing.