Crispy Calamari – Serves 4
- 400g Calamari rings
- 1 1/2 Cups buttermilk
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 Cup flour
- 2 Tsp paprika
- 1 Tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tsp onion salt
- 1 Tsp red chilli flakes
- 2 Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp black pepper
- 1/2 Cup dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Soak calamari in buttermilk for 30 minutes
- Preheat about 7cm of oil in a deep pot.
- Combine the flour with the paprika, cayenne pepper, onion salt, chilli flakes, salt and black pepper.
- Dredge the calamari in the seasoned flour, tossing evenly to coat.
- Carefully drop handfuls of calamari into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes per batch.
- Remove with slotted spoon and transfer to a paper-lined serving plate.
- Whisk mustard, honey and olive oil in a bowl until smooth and well combined.
- Sprinkle calamari with parsley, and serve with lemon wedges and honey-mustard dip