Unusual flavors in this Candy Apple Chicken recipe make it different from the norm. Surprisingly, chicken and an apple purée go down remarkably well. Serve with some grated, strong Cheddar cheese, and watch the compliments flow.
- 4 x chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 60 ml white wine
- 45 ml olive oil
- Grated rind of one lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 60 g mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated
Candy Apple Sauce
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced thinly
- 30 g butter
- 6 large Pink Lady apples, peeled and cubed
- 5 ml ground cinnamon
- 3 ml ground nutmeg
- Pink Himalayan salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 100 ml light brown sugar, or 50 ml raw honey
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/Gas mark 4.
- Place chicken into a suitable casserole dish. Add wine, oil, lemon rind, and season to taste.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, or until completely heated through, and juices run clear.
- Candy apple sauce: Sauté onions and butter over medium-low heat for 4 minutes until transparent; add apples and continue to cook until they begin to caramelize.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, seasoning and brown sugar or honey.
- Cook over a very gentle heat. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. The sauce will be sticky and the apples soft.
- Spoon sauce over the warm, cooked chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle over finely grated, mature Cheddar cheese. Serve with creamy potato bake or glass noodles and a fresh green salad.
- Marinate chicken in the oil, wine, lemon rind, and seasoning, grill or braai. Continue making the recipe as above.
For more delicious recipes, grab your cookbook here.