A great summer salad, which may start the day before you require it. Crunchy textures add depth to this recipe.
- 1 x 410 g tin “reduced-fat” coconut milk
- Juice and rind of 4 limes
- 30 ml brown sugar
- 1 red chili, finely chopped
- 500 g chicken breasts, skin and bone removed, sliced into strips
- 30 ml sunflower oil
- 250 ml shredded red cabbage
- 250 ml shredded green cabbage
- 200 g mange tout
- 1 small fresh pineapple, peeled and cut into strips or chunks
- 50 ml fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Garnish: Reserve a few strips pineapple, fresh coriander leaves, and a few thin slices of red onion
- Mix together coconut milk, lime juice and rind, brown sugar, and chili. Place half the dressing aside; use the other half to coat the chicken breasts.
- Marinate the chicken breast strips for 2 hours, or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Stir-fry chicken strips in oil; then add marinade, stir-fry for about 8 – 10 minutes until cooked through; allow to cool.
- Mix red and green cabbage, mange tout, pineapple pieces, with coriander and red onion. Toss in the cooled chicken strips and the remainder of the dressing.
- Serve immediately, garnished with strips of pineapple, coriander, and red onion.
- Place any meat or chicken for marinating in a zip-lock bag. This is great for saving fridge space, and for allowing the marinade to penetrate well; also, there is less washing up!
- To get more juice out of limes; grate rind, then cut in half and microwave on 100% power for 1 minute.
- Chicken may be baked in the oven at 180ºC/160ºC fan/Gas mark 4 for approximately 25 – 30 minutes.
Serves 4 – 6
For more delicious recipes, grab your cookbook here.