Smoked Brinjal and Cashew Nut make an awesome vegetable curry with this dish. The crunch of the nuts gives it a lot of substance, and by grilling or charring the aubergines, it has a unique flavour.
- 2 – 3 x large brinjals (aubergines)
- 30 ml sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely crushed
- 3 cm fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 25 ml garam masala
- 1 x 800 g tin plum tomatoes and juice
- 5 ml sugar
- 100 g roasted cashew nuts, crushed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 x lemon
- 1 bunch coriander, finely chopped
- Garnish: Sprig coriander
- Char brinjals over the gas flame, turning frequently until blackened. Alternatively, halve brinjals, microwave for 8 minutes on 100% power; then pop under a preheated grill element.
- Skin the cooled brinjals and scoop out the flesh. Place in a colander to drain any bitter juices.
Chop into 2 cm cubes.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and sauté onion over medium heat for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and chilli; sauté for a minute or two; add garam masala. Sauté for a further two minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and juice, brinjals, sugar and cashew nuts. Stir to mix; season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice, to taste.
- Stir in the chopped coriander and cook for a minute. Garnish with a coriander sprig and serve with rice, naan, roti, or glass noodles.
For more delicious recipes, grab your cookbook here.