Salmon soup, one of our favorites especially when winter starts to settle in. Spicey, rich flavours come together to create this pot of delicious dish.
Serves 6 – 8
Ingredients: Salmon Soup
– 3 salmon heads, cleaned and cut open
– 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
– 3 celery stalks, sliced thinly
– 3 bay leaves
– 5 ml peppercorns
– 1 whole clove
– 3 litres water
– 15 ml tomato paste
– 5 ml sweet paprika
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
– 1 spring onion, chopped
– 15 ml fresh or 5 ml dried dill
– 100 – 150 ml plain fat-free yoghurt (optional)
Method: Salmon Soup
1. Boil for 20 minutes the salmon heads, onion, celery, bay leaves,
peppercorns, clove, and water.
2. Strain the soup.
3. Remove all the skin and bones and separate the meat off the heads.
4. Place the meat in the food processor which has been fitted with the double-knife stainless-steel blade. Add 500 ml of the soup liquid, together with the tomato paste and paprika. Process the mixture.
5. Return the soup to the hob, adding in remaining soup liquid and simmering for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. More tomato paste may be added if desired.
6. The soup may be served hot or cold with finely chopped dill and spring onion.
7. When served cold, a spoon of yoghurt is added to each bowl of soup before serving