Quick Mexican Tomato-Tortilla Soup
Cooking is an adventure try this Quick Mexican Tomato-Tortilla Soup, how much more fun to explore with somebody who is special in your life? This soup allows you to do just this.
Serves 4 – 6
Ingredients – Quick Mexican Tomato-Tortilla Soup
- 15 ml sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 ml dried chilli flakes
- 5 ml paprika
- 3 ml ground cumin
- 1 x 800 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 250 ml red lentils
Method – Quick Mexican Tomato-Tortilla Soup
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; lightly sauté the onion until translucent.
2. Add the chilli, paprika, cumin, tomatoes, lentils, beans and stock, bring to simmering point, then reduce the
heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, until the lentils are soft.
3. Add chopped basil for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
4. Blend soup with a plunge blender or in a food processor fitted with the double-knife stainless-steel blade.
Process until smooth.
5. Season to taste.
6. Fold wraps into quarters; cut into fine strips with a pair of scissors. Toss strips in olive oil and sea salt and
bake at 180ºC/160ºC fan/Gas mark 4 for 15 minutes. Do this while the soup is cooking.
7. Serve soup with the crisped tortilla strips.
• Serve soup with a blob of basil pesto.
• Use smoked paprika in place of normal paprika.
• For a meatier flavour, add in 125 g finely chopped bacon, in step 1.
• Divide the soup into 2 portions. Freeze the remainder for use another day.