Make and store these easy bases for snacks, serve with dips, and delicious with soup. French bread makes approximately 22 – 24 slices/ ciabatta about 10 – 12 slices
- 1 baguette French bread, or similar Italian bread, such as ciabatta
- 60 – 80 ml olive oil
- 10 ml dried oregano or mixed herbs (optional)
- Slice French bread on the diagonal into about 1.25 cm-thick slices.
- Brush one side of each slice with olive oil.
- Lay on a baking sheet, in one layer, olive oil side down. Brush top with more olive oil. Sprinkle with herbs, if desired.
- Place into a preheated oven 200ºC/180ºC fan/ Gas mark 6. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Alternatively, grill on the top rack of the oven; toast for 5 – 6 minutes until the bread turns golden brown.
- Rub some peeled garlic slices onto the bruschetta, after browning for extra flavour, use immediately.
- Store baked, plain bruschetta in a sealed container, before using. Can be kept for 2 – 3 weeks.