Baked Chicken & Mushroom Penne
A few store-cupboard ingredients will turn this chicken into a quick dish Baked Chicken & Mushroom Penne will satisfy the hungry hordes.
- 45 ml sunflower oil
- 500 g skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 250 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 30 ml cornflour
- 125 ml cream
- 15 ml fresh or 5 ml dried thyme
- 5 ml paprika
- 5 ml mustard powder
- 5 ml lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 500 g penne, cooked
- 45 ml brown or whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 3 ml paprika
- 250 ml Cheddar or Emmental cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 180˚C/ 160ºC fan/ Gas Mark 4.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil.
- Add chicken, and sauté for about 3 – 4 minutes; turn over halfway during the cooking time. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onion and chili to the pan and sauté until onions are translucent. Add mushrooms, and fry gently for a further 2 – 3 minutes.
- Return chicken to the mushroom mixture, then adds chicken stock. Simmer for a further 8 – 10 minutes.
- Make a smooth paste with the cornflour and cream.
- Reduce the heat, and add cornflour paste to the chicken. Stir through until sauce is smooth and has thickened.
- Add thyme, paprika, mustard powder and lemon juice, and mix through. Season to taste.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pasta and chicken mixture. Pour into a greased ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle over breadcrumbs mixed with 3 ml paprika, and then top with grated cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is golden in colour.
• Reduced-fat cream may be used in place of full-fat cream.
• Use natural yoghurt instead of cream, if wishing to reduce fat in the diet.