Smashed New Potatoes
These are not for fancy plating, but for rustic meals… the potatoes are smashed, crispy and scrumptious! Also great for a braai!
Serves 4 – 6
- 1 kg new baby potatoes, unpeeled
- 125 ml olive oil
- A few cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- A handful of fresh sage, rosemary and or thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 220˚C/200ºC fan/ Gas mark 7.
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan of cold, salted water, and bring to boil for 20 minutes or until cooked through, a knife going easily into the potatoes.
- Drain the potatoes, then squash them with the back of a spoon or use a potato masher to lightly squash the potatoes.
- Place the oil and garlic on a baking tray, and cook for 5 minutes or until hot.
- Add the potatoes and salt, toss lightly, and cook for 20 – 30 minute.
- Add the herbs and cook for the last 5 minutes till crispy
- Place smashed potatoes into a greased casserole dish, drizzle over olive oil mixed with garlic, and sprinkle with herbs. Dust surface with parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Add in 45 ml pesto sauce in step 5, tossing the potatoes lightly in the pesto mixture.