Sweetcorn Soup with Cumin Popcorn
The addition of crunchy crisp popcorn to the hot sweetcorn soup is an absolute taste sensation- try it!
Serves 4 – 6
- 15 ml olive or sunflower oil
- 60 g butter or margarine (60 ml)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 x large onion, chopped
- 300 g sweet potato, cut into small cubes
- 500 g sweetcorn kernels
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock
- 100 ml cream or crème fraiche
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- Heat oil and butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the butter or margarine has melted add the garlic, onion and sweet potato.
- Sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add sweetcorn and continue to cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add in stock, bring to the boil, and reduce the heat to simmer for 20 – 25 minutes, until the potato is soft.
- Stir in cream or crème fraiche and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Purée with a plunge blender or pour into a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a warm bowl and add cumin popcorn immediately prior to serving.
• Use tinned or frozen sweetcorn kernels
• Use ready-prepared sweet potato and onion to
• Use a bag of ready-made popcorn; tip in melted
butter and cumin and mix well, if time is short.