We’ve got the perfect snack for you. Try it out this weekend and let us know what you think! These mini pakoras recipe makes approximately 45.
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 25 ml fresh ginger root, finely grated
- 25 ml sunflower oil
- 10 ml garam masala
- 10 ml curry powder
- 10 ml black onion seeds
- 5 ml turmeric
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 large potato, peeled and grated
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 red or green chili, seeds removed, and finely chopped
- 10 ml sea salt flakes
- 5 ml freshly ground black pepper
- 60 ml chickpea flour (ground dhal)
- 45 ml finely chopped coriander
- Cooking oil for shallow-fat frying
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and grated
To serve: mint or mango chutney or mango pickle
- Sauté the onion and ginger root in 25 ml sunflower oil until onions are translucent.
- Add in the garam masala, curry powder, black onion seeds and turmeric; sauté for 2 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large, clean, dry bowl, until frothy.
- Add all the ingredients (except the cooking oil and chutney) into the egg whites, and mix gently together.
- The mixture will be fairly thick, with a good, dropping consistency.
- If the mixture is too thin, add a little more chickpea flour. If it is too thick, add a little water.
- Heat sufficient oil in a large frying pan on medium heat to shallow-fat fry the pakoras.
- Drop spoonfuls in the hot oil. Turn over after 30 seconds; cook a further 30 seconds; drain well. Continue until all the batter has been used up.
- Keep warm or cool, then refrigerate or freeze.
- Serve the little pakoras with mint or mango chutney, sweet chilli sauce, or mango pickle.
Tips – Mini Pakora:
- Although this recipe makes many pakoras, it is worth making a whole batch, then freezing what you do not use.
Freeze in plastic freezer bags to save space in the freezer. You can always reheat these little treats quickly in the oven when required.
- You can vary the vegetables, e.g. use grated courgette and mint, corn and chopped red pepper, or small florets of broccoli/cauliflower.
- Make larger pakoras for starters, or as part of a main vegetarian meal.