This Spanish orange Chicken casserole is a great dish for those watching their weight. The Mediterranean flavours of: oranges, tomatoes, paprika, garlic, and peppers all combine really well. This recipe freezes like a dream. You can find this recipe and more from Allan Hirsch’s cookbook “A Taste of Hirsch’s“.
Serves 8 – 10
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 50 ml sunflower oil
- 2 large red peppers, sliced thickly
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 150 g button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 x 800 g tin tomatoes,drained and chopped (reserve juice)
- 15 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 300 ml chicken stock
- Juice and rind of 2 oranges
- Preheat your oven to 160°C/140C fan/Gas mark 3.
- In a large saucepan, sauté onions in heated cooking oil, until transparent. Add in peppers and garlic.
Stir until well coated with oil, and slightly softened.
- Add in mushrooms and continue to cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add in all remaining ingredients except the chicken breasts, cornflour-and-water paste, orange segments, and parsley.
- Place chicken breasts into a greased oven-roasting pan or another suitable container for convection, combination, or microwave cooking.
- Pour the hot sauce over the breasts. Cover with aluminum foil or a lid.
- Bake: Oven160°C/140oC fan/Gas mark 3 and bake for 40 – 45 minutes.
- Combination/Solar Dom: 160°C+50% microwave power for 30 – 35 minutes.
- Microwave: Cover with a lid and microwave on 70% power for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, remove the breasts, and slice or cube.
- Thicken sauce if necessary with a cornflour-and-water paste. Return the chicken to the sauce; add in orange rind, segments, and parsley.
- Garnish with extra grated orange rind and chopped parsley.