These Lamb And Lemon Skewers are dressed with fresh lemon which adds a zesty flavour to this recipe. It combines very well with the lamb, which is why it is such a Hirsch’s family favourite. You can find this recipe and more in the “A Taste of Hirsch’s” cookbook written by Allan Hirsch inspired by his family recipes.
Serves 4 – 6
Ingredients for the Lamb And Lemon Skewers
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 10 ml chopped garlic
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 10 ml grated lemon rind
- 80 ml olive oil
- 5 ml ground coriander
- 5 ml ground cumin
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Sprigs of fresh thyme
- 600 g leg or shoulder of lamb, cut into 2.5 cm cubes
- 2 medium-large lemons cut into wedges
- Combine onion, garlic, lemon juice and rind, olive oil, spices, seasoning, and thyme; add the lamb
cubes. Cover and marinate for 1 – 2 hours, or overnight.
- Thread the meat and lemon wedges onto skewers. Cook on a griddle pan until done to your liking.
Baste with any remaining marinade.
- Alternatively, braai over moderately hot coals for 10 – 12 minutes, turning at least four times.
- If using wooden skewers, soak these in water for at least an hour before using.
- Use a glass Pyrex dish in which to marinate lamb cubes.