Enjoy this superb Lemon Drizzle cake paired with a freshly brewed cup of tea. This recipe is not only easy to make but is completely Vegan friendly.
For the Vegan Lemon Cake:
- 625ml + 30ml All Purpose Flour
- 375ml White Sugar
- 7.5ml Bicarbonate of soda
- 3ml Salt
- 375ml Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 125ml Canola Oil* • 5ml Vanilla Extract
- 15ml White Vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 15ml Lemon Extract
- 30ml Lemon Zest
For the Lemon Buttercream Frosting :
- 1kg Icing sugar
- 125ml Vegan butter
- 10ml Lemon extract
- 60ml Lemon juice*
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Spray two 20cm cake pans* with non-stick spray and line the bottoms with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
Then add the soy milk, oil, vinegar, vanilla, lemon extract and lemon zest. Whisk with a hand whisk
briefly until nicely combined and no big lumps remain. Don’t over mix, tiny lumps are okay.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans and place into the oven to bake for 30 minutes or
until a toothpick inserted into the centre of one of the cakes comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the pans and place onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely before
- Prepare your frosting by placing the powdered sugar, vegan butter and lemon extract and lemon
juice* into the bowl of an electric mixer. Start off at slow speed, gradually increasing speed until
thick and smooth.
- Frost the cooled cakes and decorate with lemon zest.