Try this Soul Warming Spicy Beef Stew this winter. Filled with hearty vegetables, tender meat and a spicy gravy it will surely be enjoyed by all. Pair it with your favourite crusty bread or a fluffy rice.
- 1kg cubed beef pieces
- A large roughly chopped onion
- Olive oil for frying
- 250g button mushrooms
- 6 Large carrots sliced into 2cm rounds
- 3 sliced celery stalks
- 4 large cubed potatoes
- 2 teaspoons of garlic and ginger paste
- 30ml of Tomato paste
- 1 whole sliced green chilli
- 900ml beef stock
- 1 Can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 sachet of beef and vegetable soup mix
- Freshly chopped parsley, rosemary and Thyme
- Firstly, toss the beef into the vegetable soup mix powder and coat the beef pieces.
- Next, in a large casserole dish or pot over medium heat, heat the oil and add the onions and the beef and cook until seared on all sides, 10 minutes, working in batches if necessary. Transfer the beef to a plate.
- In the same pot add the carrots, mushrooms, and celery and fry until soft, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the sliced green chilli, garlic and ginger paste and the tomato paste and cook until garlic is fragrant and tomato paste has darkened, 2 minutes.
- Add beef back to the pot then add the crushed tomatoes, beef stock and herbs.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and let simmer until beef is tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Add potatoes and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 15 minutes.
- Season stew to taste with salt and pepper, then ladle into serving bowls ,garish with thinly sliced chilli and serve with your favourite crusty bread or fluffy rice.