Every family needs a Basic Meatballs recipe which is versatile and great for a quick supper or luncheon meal. Meatballs may also be popped into lunchboxes for a special treat. Add your favourite pasta and sauce for a delicious Italian treat.
Serves 10 – 12 as a cocktail snack or 6 as a main meal
- 500 g topside or lean mincemeat
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 200 ml fresh brown breadcrumbs/ bran flakes or oats
- 30 ml fresh chopped parsley
- 3 carrots or Granny Smith apples, peeled and grated
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 60 ml milk
- 60 ml chutney
- 10 ml fresh or 3 ml dried mixed herbs
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
1. Place all the ingredients into a large bowl; combine well.
2. Shape into medium-sized balls, using clean, wet hands.
3. Place in a suitable greased oven dish or air fryer that accommodates the meatballs as a single layer.
4. Convection: Place in a preheated oven of 160°C/140ºC fan/ Gas mark 3, for 30 – 45 minutes. Combination: 160°C + 50% microwave power, for 16 – 20 minutes.
5. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving hot or cold with tomato sauce, curry sauce, Thai sweet chilli sauce, or Mexican Salsa.
6. Serve with noodles, potatoes, in pita pockets, or, when rolled into smaller balls, as a cocktail snack.
• Meatballs freeze very well, making it a good idea to prepare at the same time, enough both to eat and to freeze.
• Use a combination of beef and pork mince or lamb mince for a different flavour.