Homemade Traditional Biltong is easier than you think because of the Mellerware Biltong maker. You can become the master of your own taste and experiment with different flavours.
Ingredients For Homemade Traditional Biltong
- 1 Cup of Vinegar : you can start with normal vinegar, and then experiment later with different kinds of vinegar
- Sugar: 2 Tablespoons we recommend normal sugar, then however you can experiment with brown sugar or other alternatives.
- Add in 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of flaky Salt and Pepper
- 1 large tablespoon of crushed coriander seeds
- 500g Sirloin steak 2 cm thick
- Make the marinade and allow the steak to marinade for at least 24 hours.
- After you have marinated your meat, it’s time to use your biltong maker
- Then set your dehydrator to 60 degrees C and dry the meat for about 10 hours keep checking throughout.
- After 10 hours check the biltong by slicing a small corner off if it is too wet continue the drying process for an additional hour and so forth.
- Slice and keep refrigerated
- Experiment with different cuts of meat such as Fillet or Rump or even try Boerewors.
- Add different spices to the marinade such as chilli flakes or Mustard seeds
- Try adding chutney to the marinade for an extra South African flavour